Skip to main content

The real cost of dating

Location: The Somerset House, Clifton, and various places in Bath.

'The Entrepreneur' - a 38 year old, divorced guy who lives in Bath with his dog Rocky. Our first date had been the previous week in Somerset House, Clifton, which is so Christmassy and cosy at the moment with a roaring log fire - perfect date venue. He had lots to say, owns a few businesses (something to do with extracting dangerous dust through his own invention - very 'His Dark Materials') and I found him fairly attractive. He was posh, but in a nice way and I thought he was definitely worth getting to know a little better...

On our second date I dragged myself out to visit him in Bath (practically long distance!) where he met me at the station and took me first to an amazing gin bar. However we had only been sipping our drinks for about 10 minutes when he casually dropped into conversation that he used to go fox hunting. 

Having kept chickens and ducks all throughout my childhood I have witnessed first-hand how destructive foxes can be and have lost many a favourite bird. But, and without wanting to get into the details and turn this into a complete rant, I cannot stand fox hunting and believe it is a cruel and unnecessary tradition.

So although it might sound ridiculous, after he had mentioned that, I think deep down I knew we wouldn't work out as my feelings against this form of hunting are so strong. I wouldn’t ever chastise people I know that participate in hunts, it is simply something I couldn't tolerate in a perspective partner.

Despite the fox hunting comment hanging over the rest of the date for me like a black cloud, we had an ok time together, although I felt like I had to make a lot of effort chat-wise and his personality was quite serious, so that my little jokes and weird comments were totally lost on him at times. But he did show me some really cool places in Bath...Canary Bar for gin, for dinner - the Ole Tapas (a tiny authentic Spanish restaurant) and then whiskey at Hideaway. 


But that leads me on to my next rant...the cost of dating! This one date cost me £63.40! (£7.40 return train to Bath, £18 for two cocktails at Canary Bar, £30 for two whiskeys at Hideaway and £8 uber back from the station) and that's actually with him kindly offering to pay for dinner!

Of course, luckily not all dates cost as much as that. But let's say, on average, I spend £25/date, with me having been on over 30 dates now, that works out at a total of £750!…enough for a decent holiday!

(I’ll admit when I was first trying to work that out in my head, my maths is so bad that I managed to add an extra ‘0’ to the total figure and was literally running round in crazy excitement/horror at the thought of how much I could have saved. My sister thankfully brought me back to reality with a calculator.)

But still! It's a lot of money. The only consolation I can come up with is that having a partner is also pretty expensive, what with birthdays and Christmas presents, extra wedding/social invites, Valentines day etc...now which would I rather!?

Anyway...I decided not to carry anything on with the entrepreneur and it ended on good terms.

On another note, I went on a second date was with the young Woody Harrelson/Owen Wilson lookalike. We watched the rugby, got stupidly drunk, he stayed over, had bacon butties in the morning...third date tomorrow night! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Twitchy Eye Guy

Location: All Bar One, Clapham My very first online blind date! I was super nervous and had no idea what to expect and no idea how I would recognise him. I had dressed up to go to work and made lots of effort. More fool me. We had decided to meet at the entrance to Clapham Junction Station. Looking back, what on earth was I thinking? CJ is the busiest station ever and not a good place to meet a blind date for the first time. I was standing with my back to the coffee house watching all the people come through the barriers, when I spotted a guy waiting across the way from me who I thought could be my date. We made eye contact and he smiled. I thought ‘jack-pot’ as he was seriously good looking and I was just about to saunter over when a girl (clearly his girlfriend!) tapped him on the shoulder and kissed him. My first taste of disappointment, but definitely not to be my last. When my date did finally appear, he wasn’t quite what I was expecting from his pictures (under...

Dating Disasters...why me?!

Hello Readers and welcome to my blog! I decided to start writing this after a lovely, if slightly depressing, weekend with my uni mates who all have boyfriends/husbands/babies/houses. I am the only single one left, and according to them I am ‘living the life’! I do love being super independent, and have had a lot of fun, but at the same time I would really like a special someone as well (not so fussed about the baby bit!) This blog captures some of the dates I have experienced since becoming single. They’re pretty funny now I look back (well I can either laugh or cry!) and writing it has given me a completely different mindset, where I am now actually looking forward to my next disastrous date!  I hope you enjoy reading…   P.S Dad, please don’t read this, it contains things you might not want to know about your youngest daughter! P.P.S I am not a total bitch! Many of these guys are lovely, we just didn’t connect. That's the dating world for you! Disclaimer...

The Divorced Guy

Location: Various Following previous dating disasters, I’d already lined up my excuses with this one so that I could leave after one drink and for that not to be regarded as ‘bad etiquette’. But I arrived at the bar and thought perhaps I wouldn’t actually need them…he was good looking, normally dressed, normal everything! And really easy to talk to. That’s why, even when he slipped into the conversation that he had been married (no kids) and was going through a divorce, I barely even flinched. And it really didn’t bother me at all, which surprised me somewhat (clearly getting desperate!). He said they had just got married far too quickly and were breaking up on good terms. He was from Essex and had the tiniest twinge of an accent, which, with me being completely prejudiced, made me  immediately assume he was the typical Essex-boy stereotype. But I felt really bad for even thinking that as it turned out he was very intelligent, could speak German and a bit of Mandarin ...