Skip to main content

The 'I love an analogy' one

Location: Browns, Bristol

Another disaster date. Well not so much disaster as another disappointment. But then really what should I expect by now, especially as I already had reservations beforehand. 

His pre-date messages were long and detailed affairs, which didn’t bode well for my short attention span anyway, but when he attempted to describe his job using phrases such as 'cloud application' and 'system analysis', I couldn’t even compel myself to keep reading. A simple ‘my work has something to do with computers’ would have been more than sufficient!

He had looked fairly geeky from his pictures, but my colleague Jo, who since finding someone lovely online herself a few weeks ago has transformed from extreme dating cynic to a fountain of positivity, assured me he could pass for a low-end Clark Kent... 

I will never listen to this ‘new Jo’ again however, as when I saw him across the bar unfortunately he was channeling more of a Eugene (the lovely-but-nerdy character from Grease)-vibe than anything remotely Superman-ish! 

I did think about doing a runner there and then before he noticed me, but I don’t think I could ever be that mean. So I went over with my big fake client smile, with the intent to get through the date as quickly and as painlessly as possible (much in the same way I prepare for a bikini wax!), so I could go and join some friends for dinner.

Luckily he was quite easy to chat to, and finding ourselves both on the same side of the Brexit debate, spent a significant part of the date putting the world to rights. He tried again to explain his job using the analogy of a car having it's tyres replaced whilst driving along, with his role being to develop the technology that enables that to happen in the ‘real’ world of computers. 

This analogy did not help matters and I can feel my eyes glazing over just thinking about it again now! Needless to say, sadly I wasn’t interested in him romantically, but did manage to make my one glass of white wine last an hour, which was a small personal achievement for me! Then was able to escape without too much awkwardness, having already planted my excuse-to-leave seed early on.
No messages exchanged after, but hopefully no bad feelings from either side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Smelly One

Location: The Vittoria Rainy Monday. Monday evenings are for sofa cuddling and an early night, but for some reason I decided a date would be a more efficient use of my time.   I realised the error in my ways at around 4pm at work, when I messaged said date to call it off. It was another of those ‘not really excited by pictures or chat’ moments and I had a nice supper of poached eggs, salmon and avocado I was looking forward too. But, he didn’t take it lying down and actually sent some quite funny responses to my cancellation message that were enough to reluctantly convince me to change my mind again and give it a go. So I walked to the Vittoria (his choice) after work in the pissing rain. It’s not a pub I have ever wanted to go to before despite its close proximity to work, because from the outside it looks old manny and smelly.  I went inside and it was indeed old manny and smelly.  My date stood up to say hello and unfortunately I immediately knew I didn’t fancy hi

The real cost of dating

Location: The Somerset House, Clifton, and various places in Bath. 'The Entrepreneur' - a 38 year old, divorced guy who lives in Bath with his dog Rocky. Our first date had been the previous week in Somerset House, Clifton, which is so Christmassy and cosy at the moment with a roaring log fire - perfect date venue. He had lots to say, owns a few businesses (something to do with extracting dangerous dust through his own invention - very 'His Dark Materials') and I found him fairly attractive. He was posh, but in a nice way and I thought he was definitely worth getting to know a little better... On our second date I dragged myself out to visit him in Bath (practically long distance!) where he met me at the station and took me first to an amazing gin bar. However we had only been sipping our drinks for about 10 minutes when he casually dropped into  conversation that he used to go fox hunting.  Having kept chickens and ducks all throughout my childhood I have wi